Re: [DML] Re: Alternator Question!

Folks,

Just a note about alternators and a smaller pulley.

I had replace my Motorola alternator with a newer Delco alternator of higher
output. At the same time I had fabricated a smaller pulley of 2 1/8"
diameter and replaced the original pulley which is 2 5/8" diameter. The
smaller pulley is designed to help the alternator at the lowest RPM,
especially during idle. The original pulley will not charge very well at
idle or with all the added on electrical components which are all turned on.
With the small pulley, there is no adverse effect with the alternator on high
speed highway driving. The regulator will determine the alternator's output.

Living in NYC and having my DeLorean as a daily driven car, a smaller pulley
is a must to resolve charging and to keeping up with the electric demand in
the creeping slow moving traffic. The battery can do so much. BTW. I also
have an Optima "Red" top battery for the last 4 years and this smaller pulley
does add to the car's electrical operation.

The alternators are design to operate at 10,000 RPM with a standard size
pulley. A pulley of 2 1/8 or 2/14 operating at 6,500 RPM on a DeLorean is
within the alternator's limits. Besides, no one operates the engine at 6,500
RPM useless you are on the race track. The reason why a small pulley is
frown on, is because of the belt may not or will not wrap around the small
diameter and the working circumference. This is know as the belt's working
angles.

I have driven my DeLorean 19 hours straight, from NYC to Phenix City, Alabama
and another 19 hours back. I have gone on several trips from NYC to Detroit,
Washington, Boston, Toronto with no problems. I have this pulley on the
alternator for the last two years with 20,000 plus miles and still going
strong and my alternator hasn't exploded (yet!)-- and neither has my Bentleys
(Lucas and Smith electrical), which has the same modified pulley and
alternator combination for the last 28 years.

Kayo Ong
Lic. 9D NY