Re: Fuel tank cleaning/removal

You can use water to clean it out since the tank is made of plastic,
use some good degreaser detergent to clean it out. I would still
recomend using Acetone to clean it out since it will cut the sludge
better, but it is your call and either way will work.

Just a quick note: Since you have the tank out check your frame where
the tank gets wedged in. If there is any signs of rust or blisters in
the epoxy i recomend taking care of it now before you put the tank
back in. If you do have any rust, scrape back some of the epoxy
surrounding the rust until you see "silver" metal (rust travels under
the epoxy coating) and paint over it with some POR-15. I had some
minor rust spots in there and i believe Nick P had some really bad
rust/rot holes in that area (right Nick?). It's usually bad on the
drivers side where the master brake cylinder is loctaed. If any brake
fluid drips down there from a cylinder going bad or you spilled some
while filling it, chances are it it softened the epoxy. Not saying
it's a common problem or anything, just giving some advice before you
put the tank back since you can't see that area of the frame with the
tank in.