Re: Quick Note On Cooling Fans

It sounds like the brushes inside of the fan are not making proper
contact. I have the same exact problem on my car with the same exact
fan. After almost 20 years though, it's something I would almost
expect. Symptoms will include intermidant fan operation and slower
fan speed. Try this test:

1. Verify that all wire connections are secure and are getting proper
power. Fan motor electrical plug, and the fan fail bypass if
installed. Also check the fuses on the fail fail bypass.
2. Remove the brake master cylinder access panel.
3. Turn the key to "ON" position, and the A/C controls to the on
position (leave both the engine and the blower fan off).
4. If you feel brave enough you can tap the fan blades with your
hand. But to be safe, rapp the side of the motor housing with
something like a wrench. If the brushes are bad, most time the fan
will start to spin. If not, make sure that you check ALL electrical
connections.

Once the fan is at full speed, you WILL feel a good amount of air
displaced from the fan. Once the fans are plugged in, they won't cool
the engine instantly, but it will be pretty quick. Your cooling
system may also vary depending upon individual factors:
Condition/mixture of coolant, amount of air in the system, pump,
thermostat, and type of radiator installed (I run the heavy duty
brass one). You can also do this test laying on the ground, but
untill you used to it, the danger of sticking a finger into the path
of the blades is just too great. An overhead view is best.

On a side note, I run neither FanZilla?, nor the Fan Fix® and
my car
is just fine. I'm not knocking either product, I just have other
items on the car that require more attention at the moment.

-Robert
vin 6585

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "Jim" <ultra@xxxx> wrote:
<SNIP>
>one fan kicked
> in on its own, and while I do admit it didn't cool down the engine
> real fast, it DEFINATELY kept it from heating any hotter.
<SNIP>