AC and fanzilla question

I'm trying to plan ahead for summer and things that I need to replace and
repair on my 81 D.
I live in Houston now (and used to MUCH cooler weather), so I'll be running
the AC quite a lot. :)
So, I've noticed the problem of when the compressor kicks on the engine
drags and drops power. I know there is the FanZilla and the SpecialTauto fix
for this. But bear with me for just a moment.
I can hear relays clicking behind me, in the electrical compartment
presumably, though I haven't checked into it too much.
It kicks on every 5-10 seconds it seems. Is that normal?
Or should I be doing the cooling fan cycling adjustment on the dryer
assembly first, then the fanzilla?
http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/aircondfancycle.html

And, I don't want parts vendor war here, but what are the functional
difference between the Zilla fan product and Herv's? Perhaps those replies
should be made privately to me a dmc4687(at)mindspring.com.

Thanks "Y'all"