Re: Exhaust Manifold Gasket Replacement

Even with the best penetrating fluid I find that it is sometimes
impossible to remove some exhaust hardware. I like to heat parts up
with a torch to dull cherry red. It saves rounding off nuts,
stripping
threads, breaking studs, and scrapped knuckles. The downside is the
fire danger to rubber lines or fuel lines and the chance of burning
your hands. If you break off studs be prepared to drill out the
broken
part, no small task considering the weird angles, tight space, and
the
fact that you are drilling out a steel stud in an aluminum casting.
You must be "dead on" and stay there, no small feat in a confined
space. Then you must be able to get a larger drill in there and then
tap followed by the insert and tool, not a very desireable scenerio
so
just don't break any studs! Check the manifold for flatness after
removing, if it has been leaking a long time it may not be flat in
which case it may be necessary to take it to a machine shop to take a
light cut to flatten it out if it is too much to do with a hand file.
When replacing use Never-seize or something similar on the hardware
so
it is easier to take it apart in the future.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, mrvideosawyer@xxxx wrote:

> >Dear Dennis,
> 1. SOAK all fastners (bolts and studs) with penatrating oil.
> 2. Go inside and come back the next day.
Takes about an hour and a half of rolling around on the floor
when it all said and done, thats's per sie.

http://webmail.netscape.com/