Re: [DML] Digest Number 399

Dennis,

Chances are that if you need to replace your manifold gaskets, you probably
have broken studs. When I did mine, the broken studs were easy enough to
remove by drilling into the stud and using an extractor. Unfortunately, I
could not get the necessary clearance to get a drill in (frame got in the
way) so I ended up removing the engine. I'm sure this was an extreme
measure, but it really wasn't all that difficult, and it gave me the
opportunity to really clean up the engine and bay. I'm not recommending
that you remove the engine for this job, but be aware that clearance for
tools or torches is pretty tight in some cases. At any rate, once I had
the engine out, it was a five minute job to remove all the studs (broken or
otherwise) and they all came out without a fight. One final thought... soak
the studs and bolts in penetrating fluid several times before you go at it
(I'm sure you would have anyways).

Good luck,
Eric Hennebury
VIN 17065