Re: Auto trans ARRRGGHHH

>From what I have read, heard from other owners and my direct
experiance the problems with the shift computer appear to come from
two main sources, 1 blown capacitors, and 2 cold solder joints. The
repairs are obvious, replace the caps and resolder the board. I have
heard of the transistors blowing but it is rare and if that happens
it
cannot shift into 1 of the gears so if you have all of the gears even
intermittantly the most likely problem is cold solder joints. The
multi switch can even go bad but that is very unlikely. Don't rule
out
the connecters to the big plug on the firewall, a bad connection
there
can cause intermittant shifts too. The trans needs 12 volts so if it
doesn't get it or the connection is "iffy" it can cause weird shifts.
Be careful a bad shift computer can put a lot of strain on the trans
with all of the improper shifts and damage internal parts.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757