Re: [DML] Re: DMC12 Handling on the limit

On Wed, 31 Jan 2001 jtrealty@xxxx wrote:

> I believe that to know your car and your skills you need to push to
> the limits. It should be done under contolled conditions like a
> motorcross event or slalam. Just make sure that you have insurance
> coverage for the event. If you have collecter car insurance it may not
> cover either collision or LIABILITY. It would be bad enough to ding

Most organizations that sanction an autocross event will typically have
their own insurance. The SCCA is by far the largest operator of autocross
events and they carry very adequate coverage. In fact, the insurance
coverage for a single event is more than the sum of all the claims ever
filed against them.

For open track events, the organizer's coverage may vary from excellent to
nothing at all. Check with the organizer.

If the track event is a driver's school, your insurance covers you unless
it is specifically excluded. Most policies will exclude "racing and
preparation for racing." An open track day or an autocross both can be
construed as these, whereas an instructed driver's school, legally, can
not (even though people do use them to prepare for racing).

If you have an "umbrella" policy with your auto insurance, it is likely to
cover you for liability (only) regardless of the situation. I got one of
these specifically to participate in track events. These can be
surprisingly inexpensive.

Generally, if you talk to your insurance policy and ask them if you are
covered, they will tell you that you aren't, and then they will raise your
rates. They might even cancel you (this is less likely and possibly
illegal in some places). The final arbiter is the text of the policy
itself. Read it.

> your own car but you could be held personally accountable for damage
> to other's property or worse injuries to a passenger or spectator.

In an autocross, there is basically no risk of this. Whether there is any
risk on an open track depends a great deal on the particular event. The
good news is that tracks are generally designed to maximize the safety of
spectators and the chances of your injuring anyone are really really
small.

Don't worry too much about damaging the car. If it's in good condition to
begin with, it'll still be in good condition when you're done. On an
autocross, you're basically by yourself, and you'll be grouped with other
inexperienced drivers, so you won't be holding anything up. On an open
track, usually there will still be special sessions for slower drivers and
vehicles. If you want to be really conservative, just drive the way you
would on the street, and you'll be at no risk at all.

FWIW, even if you do hit a tire wall, the damage won't be all that bad.
(Last month I nailed a tire wall at 65 mph in my RX-7 and caused only body
damage)...