Re: [DML] Auto Trans Problems

Matthew,

You are correct about suspecting the computer governor. Mine was showing
problems at 12K miles and 19 years of age. I think that computer governor
failure is a function of time and not necessarily one of use. Listen dude,
you are wrong about getting the transmission to shift from 1st to 2nd at
35mph. What is really happening is that the transmission is starting out in
2nd gear and eventually shifting into 3rd. So be very gentle with the
accelerator from a full stop until you get the problem fixed.

When my computer governor failed, it caused the transmission to usually
start off in 2nd and occasionally shift into 3rd if I held my mouth just
right. My opinion is that you need a new computer governor. While you're
at it, rebuild the filter and change the trans fluid. You might consider
having the old computer repaired. But if you buy a new one, don't throw the
old one away. There are some people on this list who can rebuild it making
it better than new. Can I have it? :)

By the way, I discovered by trial and error that there is no temporary
work-around for bypassing a defective computer governor. What I read in a
DML back issue is that you can disconnect the two plugs to the computer at
the firewall after you start the engine. (If you try it before you start
the engine, then it sets off the starter disable circuit.) Then you shift
the transmission manually starting in 1st and working your way up to 'D'.

At first I found this wouldn't work because I had two contributing factors
getting in the way. First, the shift linkage was out of adjustment and
second, the console bezel was getting in the way of allowing the shifter to
reach 1st. But even with these obstacles removed, this work-around still
doesn't work on my car. I found that disconnecting the electrical to the
computer governor only forces the transmission to stay in 2nd gear while the
shifter is in any forward gear. But with the electrical connected, if I put
the shifter in 1st gear, it starts out fine in 1st gear and stays in 1st
like it should.

Since there is nothing abnormal about my transmission or it's new computer
governor, I suggest you all scratch this idea off of your lists unless
anyone can say otherwise.

I heard a comment not long ago on talk radio of someone explaining what an
oxymoron is. She described it as being like a sports car with an automatic
transmission. Sitting there listening in my DeLorean with an automatic
transmission, I couldn't help but laugh. I'm beginning to see what she was
talking about.

And for you guys out there with manual transmissions and your stainless
steel braided clutch lines -- stop gloating! Why are you reading this
anyway? It doesn't apply to you! :)

Walt Tampa, FL