Re:Was Delorean Clock Now Undocumented Changes

Re:Was Delorean Clock Now Undocumented Changes

I believe that many cars have undocumented and or incorrect running
parts changes for many reasons the biggest being that all cars went
through the Q A C centers for finishing, repairs, cleaning etc. In
their haste to get the cars ready for shipment to the dealers the
centers didn't care about what was or wasn't correct per vin as far
as
running changes were concerned. They probably used whatever was on
hand to get the cars done and out. I have never seen or even heard of
any documentation of the process. I know that James Espey will
disagree with this but the Q A C centers didn't have time or care
about "correctness". Also the dealers when they did any work on the
cars either as customer work or warranty work could have unkowingly
installed "wrong" parts. One area that is particularly noticeable is
early cars that should have a gas flap. They probably replaced a
damaged hood and couldn't get the earlier hood so the car wound up
without a gas flap. Another area is the antennae, since there are 3
variations it is hard to know just when changes occured especially
when dealers were encouraged to make some changes based on customer
complaints. Since the documentation is admittidly not accurate and
not
car specific there should be some lattitude as far as when changes
occurred unless we do alot more research and polling of cars. The
problem is most important to people interested in competing in
concours and their car falls within the running changes. They may
feel
especially picked on as even if they are the origional owner and they
got the car that way from the dealer, their car is "incorrect". They
are left with the choice of "fixing" the car to make it "correct" or
losing points. The people with "83" cars are at the most risk as many
were "put togethers" using any parts on hand to finish production
without regard to "correctness" so they wound up with combinations of
carpet, seat colors etc. This is a fertile area for alot more
research
and documentation.
David Teitelbaum