Preventing Water In the Fuel Tank

In a message dated 1/15/01 7:59:08 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jamesrg@xxxx writes:

<< the fuel had water in it, >>

There's a plastic grille along the front edge of your windsheild that has a
rain drain dead center. With the fuel tank inspection plate removed you
won't see it, but if you feel along inside the top edge of the inspection
opening, you'll realize that the spout of the drain is right over top of the
2 fuel hoses. Nearly over top of the fuel pump as well. Water has likely
trickled down on top of the fuel pump cover and worked its way down into the
tank. Some areas to check:
1. See the diagram in the parts manual. You do have all those parts don't
you? My D had the fuel pump cover loosely in place, not really covering the
pump, and not held in place by the big hose clamp. You might need a new one
if the old one is too stiff to fit on properly. Mine was.
2. Be sure the two hose openings are sticking up like little volcanos, not
shoved down with their openings lower than the outer edge of the cover. That
way any water can roll off the cover like a pitched roof, not collect there
and possibly leak down hose openings that are below water level.
3. It's not a bad idea to put a hose clamp around each hose opening. They're
not called for in the original but they don't hurt, either.
4. That should do it... if it doesn't, or you just want to be sure, there are
plans in a back issue of DeLorean World magazine showing how to construct a
water deflector. Kind of vaguely like a shovel with no handle that glues in
vertically against the firewall. Or here's an untested suggestion: I've
decided to put some wire loom- that corrugated hose people use to cover
their engine compartment wires- over my tubes to shunt off any trickles.
Should work, I just haven't gotten around to it.

While you're sitting in your luggage compartment, pull out the fuel pump
support boot and examine it for cracking and deterioration, which could also
allow water from on top to seep in. And see if the metal tube and support
ring are rusted. Could be. The boot can look great on top where it never
touches gasoline, and be as rotten as a low budget mummy on the lower end.
Deteriorated parts are readily available thru D shops, and well worth
replacing.

Good luck!

Wayne
vin 11174