Re: [DML] Procours D'Coolness (an alternative to Concours)

Walter wrote:

> So how about we start a second contest to see
> who has the coolest car? Instead of penalizing
> someone for upgrading and modifying/improving, let's
> have a contest that specifically rewards for this sort
> of behavior.

This idea sounds like an expansion of the "People's Choice" category. Many car
shows, including Ken Koncelik's, allow spectators to vote for a People's Choice
car. Unless you can ressurect James Dean, the best way to get a well-accepted
judgement of coolness would be to ask the spectators to select the "coolest"
custom DeLorean.

If I am reading Walter as he intended, there would need to be other
sub-categories of People's Choice awards. Maybe "Fastest Looking DeLorean" and
"Most Attractive Paintjob on a DeLorean" as well as other categories. This
could be done, and it might be fun. Is this what you meant, Walter?

> The highest score would go to the Delorean with
> best fixes for known weak spots and factory defects.
> Extra credit would go for fitting in new engines and
> transmissions depending on if weight distributions
> and safety are not compromised. Standard extra
> points would be awarded for heavy duty window
> motors, cross-drilled brake rotors, lowered suspension,
> stainless steel braided clutch line, etc. More extra credit
> would be given for technology improvements such as
> convex passenger side mirror, electro-chromatic
> rear-view mirror, alarm system, etc.

Unfortunately, I believe this would be impractical. Who would develop these
standards? How would we decide if the standards are good?

James Espey and the people at DMC Houston put a LOT of work into their Millenium
Concours judging criteria. Considering the universe of modifications that are
available, it would take many times more work to put together the new criteria
that Walter suggests, and I doubt that the effort would be rewarded.

Which is worth more points, a convex mirror or a Fanzilla? What about a
stainless steel frame? Whoever established these standards would first have to
resolve a hornet's nest of controversy over safety, reliability, and other
issues. I believe that it is impossible to answer some of these questions.

What if someone built their own gas guage sender from scratch? Would the judges
subject that guage to statistical analysis, perhaps a lengthy reliability and
repeatability study, to determine whether it was better than a Tankzilla?

I cannot imagine anyone putting in the effort needed to evaluate all
customizations just for the DeLorean marque. If someone wants their car
subjected to this sort of judging, their best bet might be to enter their
DeLorean in a Hot Rod show, where the standards are less marque specific.

- Mike Substelny