buzzing sound

I went to start # 10054 for the first time in about a month yesterday,
first of all the battery was dead so I jumped it off. As soon as it
started, I heard an odd buzzing sound coming from somewhere in what sounded
the front driver's portion of the car. When I shut the door, it still
continued and I drove to town to give the car a little exercise. The
buzzing never stopped. When I returned home, I parked it and turned the
ignition off but the buzzing never stopped. The car was off and the key
removed but the buzzing sound continued. About the time I started to
investigate, the wife called me in the house for about 10 - 15 minutes,
when I returned, the buzzing had stopped. I now have a charger on the
battery as it would still not start when I returned from town.

Does anyone know what the buzzing could be? Is it responsible for running
the battery down you think? This is the first major problem I've had with
my car so please help me if you can.

Thank you,
Greg