Re: Hurt D for sale, please save!

If someone does buy this Delorean, I have a rear pontoon that I am
looking to get rid of. I also have a used rear passenger panel, used
rear fascia and a used tail lense that I will sell for a really good
combined price. Heck, I will even trailer the parts to you (only if
you live within the general area of michigan.
I am moving and need to get rid of some of my bigger parts.

Thanks!

Erik Geerdink

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxx, James Espey <james@xxxx> wrote:
> Let's talk for a minute about what it would take to save this car,
> and if it's "worth it".
>
> This assumes that all parts are bought new...
> Right quarter panel 997.49
> rear valance 52.41
> air inlet 14.31
> right quarter glass 87.91
> right tail light 191.26
> side lamp assy 25.60
> impact absorber 468.28
> rear closing panel 323.40
> Rear fascia 642.85
> engine cover 253.25
> engine cover stay assembly 49.41
> engine cover grilles, clips, retaining strips 411.95
> louvre 483.86
> louvre grilles 92.42
>
> So far we're at a little under $4100 - that's all the big stuff,
NOT
> COUNTING fiberglass work - you can probably pick up a used rear
body
> half or quarter for the repair for $500-$1000. Louvre latch, engine
> cover latch, struts, miscellaneous bits and pieces and trim and
> fasteners might add another $500-$750. And don't forget labor for
all
> this - De Lorean Motor Company's labor rate is $62.50 per hour, 100
> hours labor all totalled, easily. This "off the cuff" estimate
> assumes no frame damage, no damage to the t-panel, passenger door,
> rear glass, tire/wheel, engine/exhaust/etc. It would be a miracle
if
> there was no damage to the other side, either.
>
> It appears to be a relatively early car judging from the black door
> locks (two key system), dark wheels and fender mounted antenna.
These
> point to car with a VIN below 1800 or so. Probably a manual
> transmission, almost assuredly a black interior. Looks like it has
> the original coolant bottle, so it'll probably need some other
> upgrades as well.
>
> So...counting the price of the car, you've got almost $20,000 into
> car with a salvage title that will never be worth as much as any
> other $20,000 DeLorean out there with a "good" title.
>
> There is intrinsic value in bringing a DeLorean back from the dead,
> particularly if you do it yourself (ask Dave about the Vixen
> project), and that can only be measured by each individual.
>
> You can probably part it out in six months or a year, and recoup
the
> $7500 fairly easily, but then you've got a partial DeLorean in your
> garage/backyard for a period of time. Not many homeowner's
> associations going to go for it sitting in your driveway.
>
> Don't get me wrong - I'd love to see this car brought back to life,
> and the right person with the skills, disposable income, time,
> patience, and love for the DeLorean could do it - but they'd have
> do it for love because they could probably never sell it and get
> their money out of it.
>
> James Espey
> DeLorean Motor Company
> Houston, Texas
>
> 281/568-9573
> 800/USA-DMC1
> http://www.delorean.com
>
> PS - If anyone from the DML does buy this car with the intention of
> rebuilding it - let me know, I'll work you a deal on the parts :-)
>

> > Dear List,
> > Below is a link to pics of a hurt D that needs a new home.
Please
> >do NOT visit this link if you are easily upset at images of hurt
D's