Re: [DML] Colling system hoses

James,

The squealing you're hearing is either a loose belt or the AC compressor
idler bearings. If you look at the engine from the back you'll see two
pulleys attached to brackets mounted on the left side of the engine. Put
some oil on these and run it a little and the problem will go away. Mine
started squealing just after I bought my car and I oiled them and the
problem went away. That was 4 or 5 years ago and they're just now starting
to make noise again.

As for the water pump, the most common failure is that water will start
leaking out of the weep hole on the front of the pump. It's not common for
the pump to make noise when failing. If you DID have to replace it,
however, removing the rear fascia is not required. You DO have to remove
the fuel injection system and intake manifold, however.

On the question of oil, I use full synthetic Mobil 1 in my car. Make sure
you don't have any oil leaks before switching to synthetic though as
synthetics tend to leak more. More important than the choice of oil, I
think, is the choice of oil filter. I use Puralator as they actually list
one intended for the DeLorean.

The fuel tanks usually don't leak fuel. Various things do, however, cause
vapors to enter the car on occasion.

--Rob Hook

> Secondly there was a funny squealing noise from the engine compartment on
> and off during my last short journey is this a possible sign that the
water
> pump is knackerd and if so is it hard to renovate or replace the pump. It
> looks like it is in a bit of a nasty position to get to, will I have to
> remove the rear fascia and if so is that as time consuming as removing the
> front fascia?
>
> Thirdly what engine oil do people recommend for the DeLorean? Fully or
Semi