Re: [DML] John Delorean and Reliability.

On Tue, 2 Jan 2001, Mike Substelny wrote:
> While I know the Vega thread is dead, something in its first post bothers me. I want to set the record straight by pointing out evidence that John Z. DeLorean intensely disliked the Vega.
> I believe that both his autobigraphy and "On a Clear Day you can See General Motors" mention how much he hated that car. He inherited the Vega project when he took the reigns of Chevy. JZD disliked the Vega engine and he disliked its name, both of which he claimed were
> selected by corporate higher-ups.
> In fact, I think that JZD's disagreements with GM over the Vega project were a major reason why he left. They did not like his attitude about the car and he did not like theirs.
> William Sternbach's assertion that John DeLorean "introduced" the Vega might be technically correct, insofar as JZD was running Chevy when the Vega first hit showrooms. But by the time JZD formed his own company, I believe the Vega represented everything he disliked about
> American cars. I think he wanted the DeLorean to be the Anti-Vega.
> - Mike Substelny

Touchee! Thank you, Mike, for pointing that out. The Vega was ready for
the retail market at the same time that JZD was moved from general manager
of Pontiac to Chevrolet (1969/1970). Therefor, JZD had little, if any,
input to the design of the Vega. He was merely a figurehead (in the wrong
place at the wrong time). JZD had brought Pontiac from sixth in sales to
third (behind Chevy and Ford) during the 1960s. He turned the stodgy
division from grandma's silver streak to the G-T-Os and the Grand Prixs of
the youth market. GM brass 'rewarded' him by making him the general
manager of their flagship division - in reality, he was brought on board
at Chevrolet as a troubleshooter to their many problems of that time
frame.

--
Mark Fearer
vin 3072