Fair Warning....

[MODERATOR'S NOTE: I don't want this to expand into a prolonged discussion about Harbor Freight. It's information worth passing on to subscribers but this one post pretty much says it all.]

To all list memebers,
I know this is not directly D related but in one way or another it
is. Most people that are on this list are either restoring a D,
fixing one or does there own maintence on their D. I just wanted to
let everyone that if you order anything from HarborFreight.com (tools
or supplies) be careful.

I placed an order last week and it got all messed up. I ordered about
10 items from them and I asked them if they were all getting shipped
at the same time and if they were all getting shipped using the same
shipper, I was assured that everything was in stock and it was all
getting shipped UPS and I would recieve everything in 5-7 buissness
days. I called them about 4 other times (for various reasons) and
before hanging up I asked them the same question about the shipping
on that order. Well the 4th time I called I got a different story,
this is right after my order was processed and on it's way out the
door (to late to make any changes). I was told that only one item was
being shipped UPS (5-7 days) and all the other items were broken up
into several boxes (to keep the weight down) and shipped using the
Post office (almost 3 weeks ship time!!). When I called their
customer support line the story I got was this: Their sales team does
not have the same computer system as the Customer support team does
where it gives them detailed information like shipping. Also they
cannot determine the exact shipping untill the order is processed by
the warehouse. But get this...after the order is processed, you can't
make ANY changes at all, including the shipping! If you order any
supplies or tools from them be careful and call back frequently to
check on the status of your order. So as of now I will be recieving
one item in 5-7 days and the other remaining 9 items I will be
reciving randomly over the course of 3 weeks since they are all
packed in 5 different boxes. Also I was told that is I wanted
guarenteed delivery through UPS or FedEx I would have to pay
additional fees which I would have gladly have done if I was informed
about this AS I was placing the order and not led to be belived that
it was being shipped UPS ground.

I told one of my friends about this expieirence and he said he had
one even worse. He ordered an Acetylene torch kit from them and he
said that after using it for 1 day, the gas line ruptured (luckily it
didn't catch fire and no one got hurt). He said he was lucky that he
was using it outside at the time and that the tanks were far enough
away for a buddy of his to shut the gas off quickly before it ignited.

Anybody else have a bad expierience with HarborFreight.com or are my
friend and I the only ones?

Sorry for using the list for this.

Steve
P.S I also cancled a small order with them before it was processed
(same day) and later found out while I was on the phone with them
about my big order that the small order was processed and ready to be
shipped. Go figure, I guess I should have called back a second time
to confirm the canceled order also.