getting back from improper storage

The owner says that the reason why this car was left sitting is because it
was flooding. A few weeks of sitting then quickly turned into several
months of improper storage and now there may be even more problems to deal
with.

Before the car does go on the road, I want to be sure the angle drive is
lubricated. I'm also thinking about taking the plugs out and checking to
see if they are fouled. Does anyone recommend putting a little oil in each
cylinder before we crank it since it has been sitting for so long?

I also think it might be a good idea to look inside the gas tank to see what
is going on. Would it be a good idea to pump out the old gas and then
circulate some injector cleaner through the fuel system before we try to
start it? Or am I just making this move involved than it needs to be?
I got the impression that whatever fuel that is still in the tank is over a
year old.

As for running rich, my experience with fuel systems is still quite limited.
I was of the impression that it took a major miss-adjustment or part failure
to dump enough fuel through the engine to damage the muffler and heat
shield. I'll let you know what 'we' find out. We also have two or more
other DML contributors who are going to be there to help get this car back
on the road. I'm looking forward to it.

Walt Tampa, FL