Re: [DML] Re: door locks

Wayne asked:

> Does that mean that if you suffer from
> "Johnny Carson syndrome" you can
> disconnect the battery to enable the
> doors to be manually unlocked?

If your power locks are holding the locks closed then yes, disconnecting
the battery will allow the solenoids to let go.

I am not convinced that this is the whole story to the problem you aptly
call "Johnny Carson Syndrom." My DeLorean's VIN is close to Johnny's, and
it has trapped me (and all previous owners) many times, even thought the
locks and solenoids were fine.

The problem was that some early DeLoreans never got the door guide update.
With no door guides, or improperly installed door guides, a DeLorean door
can jam closed. The door may appear to be closed normally, but instead of
being held shut by the latches, the door is actually wedged tightly against
the fiberglass doorframe.

If this happens, disconnecting the power and fiddling with the locks will
not get the doors open. With luck and strong thighs, a person trapped in
this situation can kick his/her way out without damaging the DeLorean.
Without luck, someone may need to rescue the victim with a metal grinder.
I hope this never happens to anyone!

Perhaps Johnny Carson got trapped in his DeLorean due to a lock module
failure. But his early '81 car might just as easily have trapped him with
jammed doors.

As I recall, Johnny Carson also had trouble with his alternator. How do we
know about this? He didn't complain about it on his show, did he?

Does anyone know a good source for details on Johnny's DeLorean adventures?

- Mike Substelny
VIN 01280, 7 years