Re: Clutch Slipping.

This is probably Not Good.

There is no way to inspect the clutch from outside. There are a
couple of holes that you can look into and see the backside of the
pressure plate, but unless there is massive amounts of fluid in there
you won't tell much.

I've never heard of anyone being able to "clean up" an oily clutch
disc, even off the car but especially on the car. There is not much
room in there when it's put together, anything you "spray" in there
will just gook everything up and pretty much stay there. A degreaser
would tend to wash the lube from the throwout bearing slider and the
fork pivot, and then you'd have other problems.

Normally when the slave cylinder leaks it runs around the bellhousing
onto the frame and then the floor, but I suppose that it could get on
the clutch in an extreme case, especially if the dust shield is
missing. At any rate, there is no way to clean up the clutch without
taking it apart, and judging by your symptoms something catastrophic
(massive leak or the clutch disk just failed) has happened. The only
alternative would be if you happened to run through deep water and
get it all wet, but I presume that you would have mentioned that in
your post.

Might be a good time to learn how to pull the transaxle - not a lot
of fun but I have done mine on jackstands on the garage. This job is
a LOT of labor, the thing weighs a ton. The parts themselves are not
too bad.

I wrote it up at

http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/manualtrans.htm

Dave Swingle

.....Right now my car is driveable, but I