Re: speedo problem....

In a message dated 12/5/00 7:47:13 PM Eastern Standard Time, Soma576@xxxx
writes:

<< i have talked with the previous owner and he has informed he that it is
not the lower cable or angle drive because both of these were just replaced
early this year. he's right because upon inspection, the tubes look very
fresh and all the connections seem nice and tight, very new looking. now
what can it be that is causing my speedo to act up? the prev owner also
told
me that this summer he was having intermittent problems with the speedo and
his mechanic took apart his lambda counter, greased it up, put it back
together, and it all worked again.

is the lambda counter a likely suspect? >>

Not usually. An intermittent connection somewhere in the system is the
likely culprit. Apart from the angle drive and lower cable connection, which
might look fine from the outside but not be properly seated, there are two
other spots to check: the short cable that runs from the angle drive out
through the wheel hub, and the round disc it links up to in the wheel hub.
The short cable is replaced with the angle drive, so it isn't likely to be
broken unless the mechanic who installed it, (probably not a DeLorean expert,
I'm guessing?) damaged it on installation. But the connection might not be
properly seated at the disc, or the disc itself might be worn. The tiny hole
in the center should be square, to fit the end of the cable. A siezed angle
drive might have rounded out the hole. Just pull the wheel off and take a
look. That's pretty easy to do. That's what I'd look at first.

BTW, have your angle drive lubed each time you get an oil change!
-Wayne
vin 11174 ('82 too!)