speedo problem....

Hello all,

i have a problem with my speedometer. let me start at the beginning of the
story.

i just purchased an '82 D last month. it was the best purchase i ever made!
but as always, there is a small handful of things to touch up on it. i'm
still learning about the delorean as i go, so bear with me.

anyway, i live in fargo ND where it is pretty darn cold right now. i had the
car on the road for about a week before it started snowing and i had to put
it into storage. anyway, once a week, on a good bright day, i head over to
the garages to start the car up and take it out for a brief 10 minute jog
through all the gears. the day that i brought the car over to be stored it
was pretty cold out and i noticed immediately that the speedometer was not
functioning at all. this was about 3 weeks ago and it has not worked since.
for the while that i had the car regularly, it never had any problems.

now i have talked with the previous owner and he has informed he that it is
not the lower cable or angle drive because both of these were just replaced
early this year. he's right because upon inspection, the tubes look very
fresh and all the connections seem nice and tight, very new looking. now
what can it be that is causing my speedo to act up? the prev owner also told
me that this summer he was having intermittent problems with the speedo and
his mechanic took apart his lambda counter, greased it up, put it back
together, and it all worked again.

is the lambda counter a likely suspect? if so, should i just invest in a new
one or should i attempt to take it apart and put it back together? is there
something else that is more likely? most of the speedo discussion i have
seen have all centered around the lower cable and angle drive - i have heard
of on one having lambda counter problems.

thanks for any help!
Andy

Soma576@xxxx
1982 DeLorean DMC-12 VIN#11596