Re: Service Counter

"John Hervey" <dherv10@xxxx> wrote:

> I was repairing and re assembling a service counter for someone
> and thought I have never checked mine. My car 11004 has 49,343
> miles and the service counter is at 70 even. I'm the second
> owner, 1st owner worked for Delta and didn't work on cars, car
> is all original. I was wondering if this is right then what's
> supposed to happen when. What is it for.

The service counter is intended to remind the owner at 30,000 miles
intervals to take the car in to have its lambda sensor replaced. The lambda
sensor has a finite life and is an integral component of the closed loop
fuel injection system. The service counter and lambda light can be thought
of as the major tuneup reminder.

The counter displays its value as a percentage. Your reading of 70
corresponds to 70% of 30,000 miles or 21,000 miles. Your service counter was
therefore reset 21,000 miles ago when your car had 28,000 miles on it. Your
car probably had its 30,000 mile tuneup when it had 28,000 miles on it and
the service center that did the tuneup appears to have correctly reset the
counter when they did so.

Knut