Brian 16584

From: "Steve Rubano" <srubano@xxxx>

Hi all, I was wondering if someone out there with A/C system
knowledge can give me some advice. The A/C system on my car has
been "dry" for some time now (don't know how long) where as all the
freon was out. I am assuming there is a leak somewhere. There was no
hint of pressure at all when I was taking it apart. Here are my
questions:

1. What should I suspect/check on my system that would go bad from it
being dry for some time now?

2. Is the new "legal" freon as cold as the old stuff? I have only
dealt with the older stuff so I can't compare the two.

3. Can I check for leaks in the system without charging it with
freon? I know that there are special UV Dyes out there you can inject
into the system and use a black light to track the leak. Can I use
this without charging the system or do I have to charge it so I can
run the A/C to find the leak?