Re: [DML] Question on A/C system

> 1. What should I suspect/check on my system that would go bad from it
> being dry for some time now?

Has the system been opened for some reason? Collison damage? Compressor
replacement? If the car has been sitting idle for a looong time without
running the seals on the compressor will dry out and will leak out the
freon. Thats why on new cars when you start up the car the compressor comes
on for a short time even with the AC off.

> 2. Is the new "legal" freon as cold as the old stuff? I have only
> dealt with the older stuff so I can't compare the two.

Stick with the old R12

> 3. Can I check for leaks in the system without charging it with
> freon? I know that there are special UV Dyes out there you can inject
> into the system and use a black light to track the leak. Can I use
> this without charging the system or do I have to charge it so I can
> run the A/C to find the leak?

Find a shop with a vacuum pump and see if you can pull a vacuum on the
system first. If its a big leak you will here the hissing where the leak is.
I don't recommend pressurizing the system with anything but R12 so I'm
afraid your going to need a can to test for leaks. Without knowing the
history of the car I am assuming the worst and recommending also changing
the filter/dryer by the right front wheel, pulling a long vacuum on the
system before recharging.