Storage

O.k. lets talk apples to apples and oranges to oranges........Storage.
What do we mean by storage? Some may have a different idea about how
long "storage" is. If I put my car in the barn for the winter but
start it up every other week is that considered mainstream "storage" or
just "inactive"? There are times in the summer when I don't drive my
car for 2 or 3 weeks....Is this considered it being in storage. I don't
see any difference between the two. I do know some people who take
their cars to a classic "storage" facility where it sits a full 6 or 7
months without being started. This, to me, is "storage" not putting
your car in the garage or barn and starting it up every week or 2. It
seems like overkill to fog cylinders, drain everything, add gas
stabilizers etc... if you do this type of non-use.

So, what about those of us who do start the car every few weeks and let
it run for 1/2 hour or more during the off season? Are we killing our
car engines or are we doing the best thing for them by starting them
regularly? I use synth oil which is pretty expensive. I don't put
alot of hard miles on my car so is it reasonable to change the oil prior
to winter after I just did it 2000 miles ago. Here in Maine there is no
way I'm going to put regular oil in my car and have it turn into a hard
mass and try to start my car when it's -20 or more. With the synth oil
it will flow no matter how cold it is. (I'm not trying to start a debate
over regular/synth oil)

Tom
vin #005732 MT

Visit my web site