no dash lights

Hello List,
I took my car out at night for the first time last week and noticed the
lights that light up the dash gages are not working.(4 across top I think) I
dont have the binnacle on right now, just the instrument cluster fastend
down. The bulbs are good and there is no corrosion on them. I checked the
fuse and its good and the connectors are not pushed down into the fuse box
body. Is there a wire connector further under the dash before the wires that
go to the instruments go into the main harness? I've been finding some
connectors that are pretty corroded. (ie, under T panel, engine cpmt.) what
would be the next thing to look for? I would like to get this fixed before I
put the binnacle back on it next week. these turn on when headlights are on,
right?

Thank You All.
David-