Re: [DML] The Hippy Hippy Shake?!

On Tue, 14 Nov 2000, Stian Birkeland wrote:

> I have noticed that my DeLoreans' steering wheel tends to shake and
> vibrate when I use the brakes. I've also noticed that the car does go
> straight forward when the brakes are applied, it does not tend to pull

You probably have a warped brake rotor. Common causes of rotor death are
improperly torqued lugs, getting water on hot brakes, or (rarely) getting
the brakes really hot and then holding the brakes.

The best thing to do is to take the brake rotors off, take them to a shop
and have them turn them. If they are not warped too badly, they can be
repaired. Otherwise you will have to get a new rotor.

I personally don't recommend taking the whole car to a brake shop. They
are likely to fix the warped rotor, put a new one on and then torque the
lugs with an impact wrench and warp the rotors again. :}

> dangerous in any way? Do I need a new steering rack? The car has only
> 12,800 miles on it.

Your steering rack is probably OK, however, it would be a good place to
look if the brake rotors don't pan out.