RE: New owner

Roger Brogren wrote:

<snip>
> - After reading a lot here about the importance of and evident
> complex cooling system I wonder if an overhaul here is also needed?
> Last owner told me when I first looked at the car that both cooling
> fans were running all the time and I have since learned that they
> shouldn't. Is a "Tankzilla" conversion recommended (rather than
> dinking with each individual relay)?

This touches on a theme that is fairly common on the reflector that I
thought I would share my thoughts on. I call the theme "my thingymabob does
not work, should I upgrade the system with a dohicky."

The FanZilla and other 'Zilla upgrades available from PJ Grady are great
products, but I think there is an important first step missing. The 'Zilla
products (and many other upgrades available from various DeLorean suppliers)
enhance the functionality of a correctly functioning system. Such upgrades
should not be a substitute for conducting repairs to malfunctioning systems.
My simplified three-step DMC repair process is:

1) Diagnose the source of the problem
2) Replace the defective component or otherwise conduct repairs to correct
the problem
3) Verify that the repair corrected the problem

All too often, step #1 is skipped and owners proceed directly to #2. My
apologies to Roger for using his post as the catalyst for my message -- his
question is a good one and not one to gloss over. I just wanted to increase
awareness and focus with the group on diagnostic procedures as an essential
first step to making DMC repairs. In the case of the cooling fans staying on
all the time, this can be caused by many different problems including the
car's wiring having been modified by the previous owner. Before installing
the FanZilla (which I recommend as a great improvement -- I'm really happy
with mine), I recommend that the current fan malfunction be first diagnosed
and corrected. The FanZilla is a great product but it will not conduct
repairs to other malfunctions in the system.

Knut