Catalytic converters

I have heard too many good things about running the Delorean without a
catalytic converter, so I'm tempted to do it even though there are laws
against it. Years ago on an old Chevy I had a hole in the catalytic
converter. I went to a junk yard to try to buy a used one, and they
wouldn't sell it to me even though they had a big pile of them sitting right
in front of me. They claimed that there was a law against it and that they
could get in trouble if they got caught. Besides, all the old converters
they pulled off the junk cars were being sold for recycling. They said that
the idea behind the law was that if a catalytic converter ever needed
replacing, then the government would rather have us err on the side of
getting a new 'untampered' converter rather than risk having someone sell a
custom hollowed-out used one.

If I remember correctly, the state of Florida mailed out brochures with the
registration renewals describing the laws concerning emissions
modifications. If memory serves me right, they said that it was illegal to
tamper with the emissions systems on any automobile and that it was also
illegal to offer for sale any device with the purpose of defeating the
emissions system. This would include the sale of exhaust pipe sections cut
to length and advertised specifically for replacing catalytic converters.
Also, it would go without saying that it is illegal to offer for sale any
catalytic converter that was hollowed out.

I remember on an old stationwagon that my father always liked to run leaded
gas in. After a year or so of doing this, lead accumulated inside the
catalytic converter clogging it up. We cut that thing off the car, and it
weighed a ton! It was full of lead. He bought a piece of pipe that was
manufactured for the purpose of being put in place of the catalytic
converter. It had a disclaimer tag with it that said that it was for
diagnostic purposes only and that it could only be installed temporarily
until such diagnostics were completed.

Not withstanding, I have seen cars in Florida pass emissions inspections
with the catalytic converter removed or otherwise hollowed-out. That is why
during the old standard Florida emissions inspections the inspector would
look under the car with a mirror attached to the end of a stick. The
purpose of this was to confirm that there actually was something that at
least looked like a catalytic converter, because if everything else were
running properly, a car without one would still be within emission limits.

That said and since in my history of driving I have avoided more accidents
with the steering wheel and the gas pedal rather than using the brakes, I
think that my car will pollute the environment less if it were not involved
in an accident due to a stuffy catalytic converter clogging up my exhaust
robbing the engine of horsepower and keeping me from maneuvering out of
harm's way.

Does anyone have a 'used' catalytic converter for sale?

Oh, by the way... I'm not the author of the above text. This was written by
some evil person who wishes to remain anonymous. Of course I would never
attempt to do anything that is illegal.

ahem,
Walt Tampa, FL