Re: Cooling fans staying on

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxx, "Ryan McCaffrey" <ryanjm@xxxx> wrote:
> A quick search of the archives yielded plenty of messages about
cooling fans
> *not* coming on, but mine are staying on. From the moment I start
the car
> until the moment I turn it off, the fans are constantly on

Start with the obvious. Has it always done this (i.e. as long as you
have owned the car)? I've seen more than a few of these where people
have hard-wired the fans to stay on all the time. Normally this
involves jumping the hot-switch (otterstat) but there are many
places to do it. For a while it was popular to wire the rear defrost
switch to turn the fans on! (I don't need no stinkin' rear
defroster!).

If it spontaneously occurred, look for a bad otterstat or a stuck fan
relay. To check, unplug the 'stat (in the water pipe to the left of
the engine). Still on? Unplug the fan relay.

The fans are also turned on via the relay thru a diode in parallel
with the A/C compressor as it cycles on and off, but that does not
sound like your problem. It's not a very complex circuit. I'd vote
for the 'stat.

Dave Swingle