fuel management help

My D has been sputtering since I got it- I found a loose connector in the
bucket with the windshield washer bottle, and a really bad ground connection
underneath the air filter - other sputterers might want to check these
things....

anyway, I need more help. I was driving down the highway when my 'cruise
control' kicked in. THen I remembered that the car doesn't have cruise
control! I put it in neutral and found that the engine was naturally
revving at 5k RPM. I thought it was a stuck accelerator, but I checked it
and it's not. THe butterfly valve seems to be fully closed. The frequency
valve, I'm not sure if it's working, but it could just be becuase everything
else is so loud! What are the symptoms of a frequency valve not working? I
thought the frequency valve not working would lower the idle.. that's what
it was doing before.. Is it important that the frequency valve is oriented
up/down?

The car does not idle well at all, also. When idling (will only idel with
idle screw adjustment), I disconnected the idle speed regulator and nothing
changed... I suppose this is bad... THere's so much stuff to look at that
isn't working right I'm not sure where to start... Any ideas?

Thanks in advance...

Jim 1537