Re: [DML] new geometry heavy duty sway bar

Re: [DML] new geometry heavy duty sway bar

> I'm in the process of designing a new geometry heavy duty sway bar. For
> those of you who help me, I'll make sure you get one as inexpensively as I
> can do it. If I can make them economically then I will probably only sell
> to a major Delorean supplier. I'm not into retail.

I'm wondering if this is an improvment or a formula for trouble. The factory
had a recall to upgrade the area of the frame where the sway bar mounts
because the original design was too weak. The metal would 'oilcan' when
strained by the forces applied by the sway bar. The lower control arms have
the bars attached and use the bar to hold the camber adjustment for the
front end. The lower control arms are marginal in constuction and the
additional strain from a bigger sway bar may not be in their best intrest.
The rubber mounting bushings for the bar have the hole off center with the
bar mounted forward in the brackets. I tried poly bushings from a Corvette
which had the holes centered. This changed the camber a bit and it was
somewhat noticable when driving aggresivly. Bigger bars will require
different brackets and bushings which will need to take this into
consideration. I don't see any gain here. The stock sway bar does a more than
adequate job.

Bruce Benson