Re: Torquing lug nuts

It is allright for a shop to use an air impact wrench with a very
important qualifier-ONLY torque the wheels on with a "torque stick". A
torque stick is a special extension that is calibrated to a specific
torque. Each one is a specific color and is to be used at a specfic
setting on the air wrench. If the shop doesn't know what a torque
extension is then don't let them use the air wrench. Their main
concern is not warpage or removal but having a wheel fall off. After I
go to a shop I take the wheel off and reinstall myself with a torque
wrench. Also don't just tighten 1-2-3-4. You should alternate and do
say 1-3-2-4. And don't forget to check the air pressure, most shops
are very careless and just assume everything gets #30 psi or whatever.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757