Re: [DML] Torquing lug nuts

On Tue, 24 Oct 2000, Walter wrote:

> Is he serious? Is it really bad to use an impact wrench on Delorean
> wheels like all the shops do? Or is this just a superstition?

There is absolutely no reason to use an impact wrench on *any* car's lugs.
Overtorquing lugs stresses them and makes them prone to break, and doesn't
accomplish anything. And if the lugs are not tightened in the right
order, it stresses the wheels and hubs.

The DeLorean does seem to be fairly susceptible to uneven torquing of
lugs. The only way you can be sure they're done right is to do it
yourself. Of course, this is not always convenient, however, some shops
are definitely more careful than others. I've found Discount
Tire/America's Tire to be the best. If the torque is incorrect, there is
a real danger of warping the rotors.