Re: [DML] A/C and Freeon

QUESTION WAS:

I have a couple of questions about Airconditioners for the group:

- If I have a leak of Freeon in my A/C system could I smell it in the car
(...smells like)?
- If I have a leak, is Freeon dangerous to breathe?

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers, IAN (Vins. 0780, 1205, & 6425)

ANSWERs

It would be impossible to sniff out a leak, there is nothing added to freon 12 to give it a smell

In the quantity that a normal leak would release it is not deadly or even to normal people enough to make you sick. I would not stay in a car if a pipe blew and filled the passenger compartment with Freon-12. It may be possible that if the car is burning and the gas burns that it may be bad to inhale, but with all else burning who is going to stay around to find out....

If you need to recharge I have had excellent results with upgrading to R-134a

Rich C.