Re: [DML] first problem - help please! (followup)

Re: [DML] first problem - help please! (followup)

Dave,

Go to DMC Joe's web site at http://store.yahoo.com/dsvstore/electrical.html
and download the picture he has there of the relay compartment. It shows
where the relays are. Try unplugging the 'cooling fans' relay and see if
the fans shut off. If they do, then this relay is most likely stuck on. I
know this because I once had to replace my relay with a fused jumper to get
the fans to work at all. As long as the jumper was in place, the fans would
run whether or not the ignition was on.

You might consider replacing the relay with a heavier duty relay or better
yet a Fanzilla or John Hervy's relay modification. In the mean time, try
striking the relay with the handle of a screwdriver to see if you can get it
to turn off. If this works, then it is very likely that you won't get the
relay to reliably switch on again. There simply is too much current going
to those fans, and the OEM relay is not heavy duty enough to provide it
without failing.

In the mean time, you might try disassembling the relay and cleaning the
contacts with some fine grit sandpaper. I did this with my own car until I
could get a Fanzilla. While you have the relay out of the socket, make sure
the socket hasn't melted and that the electrical connections are still good.

Hope this helps,
Walt Tampa, FL