Re: Idle problems with A/C on

Here are some simple things to check first with an idle problem:
Check that the idle switch is correctly adjusted and then watch with
an ohmmeter to be sure that it is indeed functioning
Check for power to the idle circuit
Visually check all hoses and wiring connections, look for
disconnected
or loose hoses, plug and unplug the wiring looking for corroded
connections and be aware that sometimes a wire clip backs out of a
plug so it is still in there but when connected is not making
contact,
also make sure that the contacts aren't green (corroded). Finally go
to the idle computer and check all of the wiring point to point, the
computer itself doesn't have a high failure rate, it is usually a
failure of other components in the circuit. Last thing to check are
the 3 screws in the air induction, 1 is an idle speed and 2 are
mixture. In this application they are not used but someone may have
turned them. Just LIGHTLY turn them all clockwise untill they are
seated. If you have to touch them ie: they were adjusted previosly
then you may have to readjust the mixture screw in the fuel
distributer. By the way make sure that there is some kind of plug
blocking the access hole to the mixture screw or you will never get
it
to idle right. More likly than a bad idle computer would be a
defective idle speed motor.

David Teitelbaum
vin 10757