Re: Permanent solution for engine cover hinge rust

Re: Permanent solution for engine cover hinge rust

If you have a problem with the engine cover hinges there are three
things that you can do:
(1) don't park the car outside where they could get wet
(2) remove and repaint the hinges when they rust
(3) call rob grady and get powder-coated hinges (they look real nice)

David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxx, delorean31@xxxx wrote:
> I have seen the German site offering the Stainless Steel louvers as
mentioned
> here recently. Obviously the louvers rusting is not a problem
since
they are
> not metal. Of course they suffer from their own faults, or more
common the
> lack of gentleness some use when lowering them down, which causes
them to
> crack or break. However I still know of no one who has reproduced
the engine
> cover hinge in stainless, or any other metal for that matter. The
hinges are
> prone to rust and more common, is that the bolts tack welded to the
hinges
> break off if you try to tighten them. My hinge had no signs of
weather, and
> still looked new, but the bolt studs often rust in area where you
dont see,
> until you try to adjust them. It is the weld that corrodes away in
most
> cases before the hinge itself shows signs of weathering. So be
careful if
> your engine cover starts to loosen and you want to tighten the
hinge. The
> studs are attached in a fairly weak manner to say the least.
>
> Gary Gore
> Activities Director
> DeLorean Mid Atlantic
> VIN 3360
>
> << Hey guys, the Delorean steel products company is, apparently, a
German