From: William T Wilson <fluffy@xxxx>
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [DML] Warming Up ??
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 14:31:53 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 27 Aug 2000, James Teston wrote:

> In the Owner's Handbook, it says "When the engine is cold, drive the
> car as soon as the engine has started. Do not warm up the car by
> allowing it to idle for long periods with the car stationery." (it's
> on page 15)

In 1981 most engines were still carbureted and many DeLorean owners had
never owned or even driven a fuel-injected car before. It is common
practice with a carburetor to let the car warm up for a few minutes before
you drive it.

This isn't necessary with a fuel injected engine. Fuel injection systems
are capable of getting engines to run decently as soon as they are
started. (Of course, it is still better for your engine to drive it
somewhat gently for a few minutes). Letting them warm up wastes fuel and
makes emissions worse.

You may have a problem with your cold-start enrichment circuit. You may
also need to check your timing and spark plugs (you do not need a new
oxygen sensor). Your car should run correctly right away.

> Is that a typo, or why would it say that ??

Well... it should say "stationary" instead of "stationery." :}

www.dmcnews.com/Admin/rules.html

moderator@xxxx