Re: [DML] Door locks

Could you describe better what you have started with?

My first suspicion is that you are describing a situation where your car is
an '81 and has (or had) the two key system (meaning that the door key and
ignition key are different.)

The door locks on these cars are prone to jamming, and supposedly the
'service bulletin' fix for this is to replace the door locks with a new
lockset that matches the ignition key, thus turning your car into a one-key
system.

In this situation, the two-key system cars have a round hole in the door
with square notches at the 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock positions. The later
produced one-key system cars have a round hole in the door with square
notches at the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock positions.

When a two-key system door lock jammed and was repaired under warranty, the
dealer would remove the old lock and replace it with the one key system
lock, and in the process --- in order to make the new lock fit, the dealer
would have to cut new notches at the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock positions.
The old notches at the 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock positions are then no longer
used.

My suspicion is that your doors were converted to the newer one-key system,
but whoever did this did not cut the new notches. In stead, they put the
lock in sideways making it fit the old notches.

However, one important caveat here! I am in the middle of replacing my
jammed-up two-key system locks with the one-key system. I'm really not sure
where the new notch locations are supposed to be. I'm only parroting back
what I understood Rob Grady to tell me over the phone. So I may be
inaccurate about the notch locations.

I will know the rest of the story when my new locks arrive. Where are they
Rob? :)

Walt