First Time Driver...A true story!!

Hi,
I feel I can adequately comment on an under 10k Delorean. A month ago, I
was looking for a Delorean. I needed a loan and the bank would lend me
$14,000 for a Delorean. OK. So on goes the search. I found an ad in Hemmings
motor news for a "high-mileage" Delorean for the price of $8500. The ad says
very road worthy. Hmmmm, I think--To good to be true. So I contact the
owner. He sends me pictures of a beautiful 1982 stainless, 5 speed. I get a
plane ticket and fly to PA(from IL). Buy the car and drive it 700+ miles
home. The car is still running a month later with a few minor problems.
Marty Mair and I adjusted the valves so it is running a whole lot better
with just #4 valve noise. Go figure, it is a daily driver. The car has
several unique features including: Stainless steel brake/clutch lines,all
electrical upgrades, rear wing/corvette 3rd stop light,alpine stereo
casette/equalizer, floor mats, central radar detection system, wide
"dealer-like" sport stripes.
The car has few problems like no A/C, parking brake gone, minor interior
wear, etc. But the frame looks good, obviously ran OK for 1000+ miles since
I've had it. The speedo stopped at 36k and the owner had no idea how many
miles it had. He got it from a bank as colletoral on a failed loan.
The moral of this story: IMHO, it is possible to find a good Delorean for
under 10k. I realize my case is rare, but a good and extensive search can
yield results. A high-mileage car isn't necessarily a bad thing, as long as
the car was maintained. :) Find out from the experts(like Marty, Micah,
others on this list) what to look for. Another point: Isn't it kinda funny
all the problems people have with low mileage cars that have been stored for
years, whereas there are some higher mileage cars that run flawlessly.
Hmmmmm, Makes you think, doesn't it?
I got a heck of a deal, I think. It will cost me maybe 1000 to get
everything fixed(A/C is expensive) but then I will have an awesome D for 10
grand.]
BTW, b/c the real owner of this car(the guy that put it up for a loan) is
nowhere to be found I have no history on this vehicle. Carfax yields nothing
except the owner I bought it from in PA. The car vin is #10188. It was
originally registered in MA before PA. The owner took real good care of it.
Anyone know who that might be?

Nathan E. Green
gzen21@xxxx

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88mph you're gonna' see
some serious s--t"
-Doc Brown: "Back to the Future"

Say Bye to Slow Internet!
http://www.home.com/xinbox/signup.html