Re: electrical problems relating to fuel pump

Re: electrical problems relating to fuel pump

Placing the jumper between the two wires causes the fuel pump to
run. The car will still not start however when this jumper is
connected. I replaced the main fuel relay and that is not the
problem either because the car will still not start. There is a
white and purple wire that goes from the fuel pump to the RPM relay
and this is only showing about 4 volts with a volt meter when tested
between the connection to the RPM relay and the stainless steel on
the car. When I try to start the car it moves up to about 6-7
volts. I am not sure what the significance of this is because I
think it should only be 12 volts if the relay closes, but it is just
an observation. This did lead me to think however that it is
possible that the wire betwen the relay and the fuel pump is
damaged. Evidence supporting this theory would be that it was the
only wire I touched when I changed the fuel pump (because I needed to
disconnect it.) What doesn't make sense however is that the car
started without me touching that wire, and then subsequently died.
But it only did this once.

I am thinking about getting an OHM meter and testing the white/purple
wire. What else should I look at now?

Thanks again.

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxx, "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe@xxxx> wrote:
> Joel,
>
> First; replace all of the fuses with the specified rating per the
workshop and owners manual.
> I suspect that you have replaced the fuel pump fuse # 7 with an in-
line type replacement. It is also probable that the previous owner
has done some re-wiring in the fuel pump circuit.

> You can easily temporarily by-pass the RPM relay and force the fuel
pump to run by placing a suitable jumper between the brown and
white/purple wires at the RPM relay connector. The relay does not
have to be installed to conduct this test.