Re: [DML] Polishing the stainless steel (Here's a possible solution)

Re: [DML] Polishing the stainless steel (Here's a possible solution)

This is hard but if the stainless steel has steel wool in it, it is probably non-removable. I say this because the steel reacts with the Chromium Oxide protective layer on the stainless steel. Unless the Chromium Oxide layer were removed, the steel wool won't come out. (I have never tried this but it might work for this situation. If you could get a fairly strong electromagnet, attach some sandpaper on to it and buff the panels. If it works (and the magnet is strong enough) the electromagnet might be able to pull the steel wool out as the sandpaper cleans the surface. Since I don't even know if it is even possible, I can't say it will work. BUT someone might be able to try.)
Thats my 2 steels worth (I mean 2 cents)

Jason Johnston,
DMC Enthusiast and Researcher,
Kemco Industries, Inc.
Fort Worth, Texas

The previous owner of my DeLorean, on the day we paid him, said,"...and you can polish it with steel wool." He never said he did it himself, but I didn't really know if you were supposed to do that. Of course, knowing that all of you smart people would know a lot better, I checked out the many informative DeLorean sites and in the DeLorean FAQ, I found that you were not supposed to use steel wool, saying it would appear the the stainless steel was rusting, and it was actually the tiny bits of steel wool.

What I was wondering is:
Is there a way to see if the car was polished by steel wool? And if it has, is there a way to reverse it and take the tiny particles of steel out of the stainless steel? I wouldn't want my dream car looking like it was "rusting."

Thanks a lot,
John Feldman
VIN 4275