Re: [DML] DMC Reliability question.

William Sternbach wants to know about the cost of maintaining a DeLorean:

> I wanted to know how reliable are the DMC-12's?
> If I found one with less than 50,000 miles that was
> in good condition, about how much money would I
> have to spend each year on maintenance and repairs?

I presume that you want to use the DeLorean as a daily driver, not a show
car that lives in a garage?

Because this comes up so often, I conducted a poll here on the DML a few
months ago. Of the 20 respondents, the median cost was between $1,200
and $1,600 per year to maintain each DeLorean as a daily driver. This
includes parts and labor, but not insurance, fuel, etc.. Some years you
might not need that much, but other years you may need more. You can
read details in the DML backissues.

http://www.egroups.com/message/dmcnews/7520

> Also, what is the general impression of the DMC-12's reliability:
> Poor, Fair, Good, Very Good, or Excellent?

I find the reliability of my DeLorean to be excellent and take it on long
trips all the time without worrying. Reading the DeLorean Mailing List,
joining the DeLorean Owners Association, and joining a local DeLorean
club have all increased my confidence in my DeLorean.

- Mike Substelny
VIN 01280, 7 years