Re: The Resurrection of Vixen Continues...

David Teitelbaum wrote:

> My guess on your fuel pressure problem is that you might have not
> connected all of the fuel lines correctly. I don't know exactly which
> hoses you had to put together and even the ones you didn't are
> suspect. You must go over the fuel circuit fitting by fitting, some
> of
> the hoses go over and under and it can be easy to mix them up
> especially when you have never seen the system before. Just using a
> drawing is hard so my best recomendation is to find another "D" that
> runs (wasn't a basket case) and go over it hose by hose.I have a fuel
> pressure tester but I think you can troubleshoot this without it.

Well, I don't think that's the problem. The only difference between it running perfectly, and running so oddly was the changed fuel pump. I know I didn't screw up those hose connections -- I only had to change the one.

Right now, the car runs smoothly, but does have a way-too-rich smell from the exhaust. That's part of why I'm guessing the pressure is too high.

Also...

DMC Joe wrote:

> Before everyone starts to discuss how to repair their stainless steel panels let me make the following statement.
>
> Trying to repair your own panels is like handing you a pallet, paint brushes, and canvas and asking you to create a Rembrant. Body and fender repair personnel who can effectively repair stainless steel are one in a thousand. We have been servicing DeLoreans since 1986 and we still ship stainless panels out to the experts for repair.

Amen! Part of facing reality is knowing your limitations. As far as bodywork goes, well, to put it bluntly, I totally suck. Anyone who has ever seen my Chevy will agree 100% with that statement. Restoring mechanicals is mostly a science, while body work is mostly an art -- the art of scuplture. I've tried that art, and now have a
car with rear quarters that look like potato chips covered in Ditzler Graphite Gray Metallic enamel.

I want to try the dry ice on the small little hood ding, and a couple of small dings on the top of the doors. The big dings are definitely being farmed out. For the cost of a couple of pounds of dry ice, it's worth a shot. Besides, the leftover dry ice when mixed with water gives a really cool work environment for this mad DeLorean
scientist's laboratory. =)

That's it for now. Will be talked to a local custom shop about carpets on Friday. I'll keep you posted on the results!

-Dave