Re: Broken Shift Linkage (plus update!)

 An interesting note about the drawings is that they show a
slightly differant design for the pivot bolt assembly. In the process
drawings there appears to be a set of bushing bearings to fit between
the pivot bolt and the gearchange arm. A possibilty may have been
that the engineers forsaw possible problems with the bolt hence the
bushings, but they were perhaps removed later on to save money on
tooling.
Now for the update:
Last night I went to Pep Boys to get a replacement bolt. As luck
would have it the guy who helped me had done an alignment for a
DeLorean about 2 weeks ago, and had seen the bolt and assembly
himself. He came up with a solution for both a temporary bolt and a
permanent replacement. For the temp. bolt he cut a section of large
steel brake line as long as the unthreaded portion of the broken
bolt, and then slid it down to the head. This will allow the high
tensil bolt to be fit into place, but the sleeve installed will
protect the gearchange arm from getting damaged by the sharp threads.
Screw the bolt down, but don't tighen it against the gearchange
plate. Instead place an additional M8 nut on the exposed bottom &
tighten it up to the nut welded to the chassis. This will assure you
that the bolt will not "wiggle" out while you are driving down the
road.
An added bonus is that the top portion of the bolt is wider now so
the gearchanged arm cannot rattle around. However, this is only
temporary. The steel that the brake line is made from is softer than
the bolt, so over time the threads may cut into it, though it's way
too early to tell right now (maybe if the threads were wrapped in a
thick layer of teflon tape first...).
For the replacement bolt, the guy suggested a high tensil M10
bolt. Cut it at the top to measure out where the wider smooth portion
will be. Then tap the remander of the bolt to an M8 1.25 thread. This
would produce the exact same version of the bolt, only now it would
be made from high tensil steel. The guy made it sound pretty easy,
but I would like a little imput on how I would go about doing this.
When I get a chance I'll write up an addition to the technical
library on this. Plus I'll try to include some photos & illustraions
as well (I've been so busy I haven't even finished with the
electrical distributor addition yet!). Any questions, you know what
to do!

-Robert
vin 6585