Re: [DML] Re: Gull wings/saftey issue

On Wed, 26 Jul 2000 sean333@xxxx wrote:

> That's what seemed to happen a lot in the crash test videos I have. In
> the slow motion film of the head-on crash tests, one of the first
> things you see after the front of the car begins to crumple is both
> doors fly up. Of course these were prototypes and design changes in

This they do, but it does not necessarily indicate a safety problem. In a
side impact collision, the door will remain in place to protect the
occupants (it would be wedged in place). In a frontal impact collision,
having the door fly up provides some advantages. First, it helps
dissipate some of the crash energy (just as parts flying off of race cars
help protect the driver). And, having the door open makes it less likely
that the occupants will have to be cut out of the car.

It also means that you are more likely to be thrown from the car if you
aren't wearing your seat belt.

> The main safety issue with the doors is if you end up upside down in
> an accident. Doors won't open, and windows are to small to serve as

Supposedly, the doors have enough leverage to tilt the car far enough for
an average sized person to escape from a rollover. But I don't know of
any DeLorean that's been rolled over with passsengers inside.