Bodged wiring (surprise!)

Hello list,

I am currently in the process of restoring VIN#5641. Everything seems
to be going well but I have a quick question for all those that know
the engine bay inside and out.
In the files area of egroups, I have place two pictures of my engine
bay (under a folder called wiring), one shows the location of said
wires, the other the wires themselves. Now my question!
Four wires have cut and twisted together. Nearby is a small plug that
has wires that match two of the cut wires, I assume that these were
at one time two of the cut wires also had a plug that fitted the
loose one, why would these wires be cut from the plug and wired in to
something else? If you look at the pictures you'll see what I
mean.....I'm no good at explaining this!
This is all just above the manafold near the airbox....

If more detailed pictures would help then I can post them.

Thanks

Dan Willis, UK, Portsmouth, VIN#5641