Re: [DML] Strange Squeel at start!?

In a message dated 7/23/00 9:30:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time, fen2k@xxxx
writes:

<< i get a horrible squeel coming
from the engine that happens for about 3-4 seconds and
then stops. >>

Hi Cliff-

I asked the same question on the DML several months ago, and several on the
list suggested it was my a/c idler pulley. They were right. I got the
replacement belts and pulley bearing rebuild kit. The pulley rebuild is
suggested "whenever you change the belts" (!) Anyway, before I got it on, I
was going up the highway when it began to squeal loud and long... then
stopped. You can guess the rest. The bearing totally seized, the belt
frayed then flew. I was fortunate. It could've damaged something. Someone
on the List had that happen, and a coolant hose was gashed. If you don't
know when your pulley was last rebuilt, I wouldn't wait...

-Wayne
"living the dream"
11174